Thursday, December 17, 2009

Interesting Information

I talked to Isaac today. I'm glad I was in the right state of mind to write down what we were saing or it'd probably be gone from my memory already.

Me: So... Isaac, I noticed you have a lot of papers on that board over there. Mind telling me what that's about?

Isaac: It's for my honours project. I'm majoring in creation mythology.

Me: Oh, that's pretty cool. I've been doing an essay on urban legends lately... It's kiiinda the same. (At this point I remember that I laughed somewhat nervously). So uh, what's that one about? (I pointed to the paper with the legend on it).

Isaac: That's an interesting one to pick out right away, actually. It's probably closer to an urban legend than most of these are, because it wasn't really created by any particular religion or belief system, but was developed almost to be a legend.

Me: I guess I just have an eye for urban legends. So where does it originate? Around here? Or from somewhere else?

Isaac: See. that's what I've been trying to figure out for the past several months. It has strong influences from all over the world. It has no well defined good or evil, which is common in much Asian mythology, but the blatant two absolutes is very western in ideology. The fact that there is no real end is a tilt towards Asia again in the form of Hinduism, but it has no elemental tie-ins like much Asian mythos. It's almost as if it was created simultaneously around the world...

Me: Hm... Interesting. Well, can you explain to me what the legend is about?

Isaac: Well, it can be taken to mean a few things. there is a theory that it's a metaphor for the crusades. Another that it's an antecedent for the endless battle between light and dark. A third group thinks it was simply made to explain night and day to some primitive people, but that seems too simple to me... But... Well, it's probably one of them, or maybe another someone hasn't considered yet. I'm sure someone will figure it out eventually.

Me: Do you have any personal opinions on it? Or just what others think of it?

Isaac: Well... I do, but it's stupid and you wouldn't believe it.

Me: You've got me interested enough to hear this. Go on.

Isaac: Well... I think it should be taken literally. I think all these myths that I've collected link to that one and taken off on that one, the uber old one in German? It's an old story about a giant who defends his forest and preys on children. The internet has really taken off on that one, adding more and more to it. A similar thing has happened to the rest over the millennia. It tells itself, all about a tall man, in various shapes and forms.

Me: Hm... I think I've heard of this. They call it the Slender Man, right? What do you know about that? How do you think it's related to the legend?

Isaac: Ehhh... I dunno yet. But for now, I've gotta go for a walk. Helps me think. If you find anything about all this, leave it on my desk.

Me: Yeah, sure. I've be happy to help. I guess I'll talk to you later.

After that, rushed out, leaving a few papers behind. One of them is the legend. Like I said, it's in German. Looks to me like... some form of Elder Futhark. I'll scan it when I get the chance.

Adding on to that, I saw Him again. The visits seem to be getting more and more frequent. I try to take a picture of Him every time, but my battery is always dead, even when I had just put new ones in. Starting to think that it has something to do with him, and I'd like to investigate further. But for now, I need to get some sleep.

10 comments:

  1. Good information. Isaac seems to be safer than we thought but vigilance is going to be most important, be careful right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. apologies for being away so long

    isaac seems to know quite a bit
    but those walks make me worried
    is he any different after he comes back
    different in an odd way or one that doesn't seem like him

    he could be having chats with slendy. D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started reading these, and your experiances sound a lot like many other's around. A tip, don't go to the malls or shopping areas. You'll freak yourself out.

    Mannequins are mean.

    Start taking pictures, and tell us if you find anything. Have you checked out unforum yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Der Ritter
    http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7031/1250878488340.jpg


    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/4343/1543woodcut.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take your camera battery and keep it with you at all yimes and when yous see Him, put it in your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been about half a month since we've heard from you. You good, or did Slendy get you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isaac seems trustworthy. At least, knowledgeable. There's no telling what he does when he walks. He could be searching for Slenderman.

    ReplyDelete